Sunday, January 15, 2012

THIRTY IS JUST A NUMBER.

Thursday was Nick's birthday. He turned thirty. 3-0. Wow. Where does time go? It's kinda crazy to think that my husband is thirty, and in just five quick months it will be my turn to join the club too. Why is it that we're supposed to feel old at this point in our lives? We feel anything but old. Our lives are just beginning, we have so many hopes and dreams and accomplishments awaiting us still. I feel like the pages of our book have just started to turn, still crisp and new. We are not old and worn and tattered. We have lots of livin' left to do. I guess it's true what they say, you are only as old as you feel.

 I am so proud of who he has become in his first thirty years of life. I know that he has many more great things to achieve, to strive for, to accomplish. Heck, he's done quite a bit already. But one of the things I admire most about him is that he's not happy with settling. He is always striving to do better, to accomlish more, to be more efficient, to work harder and smarter. He inspires me in so many ways, and I am honored that he is my partner in life.

It only seemed fitting that we celebrated this birthday BIG. Like three days worth of celebrating kind of big. He is so deserving and it was so much fun. The kids and I surprised him on Friday by taking him to downtown St. Paul to Heimie's Haberdashery. He mentioned once a long time ago that he would like to go there and get an old fashioned stright razor shave. Thankfully I have a memory sharp as a tack, and recalled that special wish for his birthday.




I have to tell you that the store was so cool. It felt like we were stepping back in time. It was everything Nick had hoped it would be. It was great to watch him getting pampered, as he is always the one pampering me.






Afterwards, we took him to lunch at Great Waters Brewery. It seemed fitting since we gave him a home brew kit the day before.

Saturday brought lots of fun with lots of great friends. Nick organized an ice fishing event with a bunch of his buddies, and the kids and I stopped out for a bit.




Collectively, they caught one fish, but I guess that's better than none, right?

Despite the cold, the kids had fun visiting Daddy out on the ice. New snow was falling, each flake perfectly delicate and unique as they kissed my babies cheeks. How can a Mama resist?







We made the rounds and checked out all the set ups before heading home for naps.







Afterwards, we invited everyone back over to our house for a traditional Czech dinner and hanging out. The food was delicious and we stayed up waaay to late, but it was so worth it. You only turn thirty once.


Happy Birthday to the greatest man I know, and remember that you're only as old as you feel. I am honored to spend all my days with him, and look forward to what the next thirty years have in store for us.

4 comments:

  1. ohmygawsh. gorgeous family pictures in the snow!!! so cute. great color and clarity!

    happy birthday to your man! my guy turned 30 last September, but he was out of town for work at a conference so we did not even celebrate. ::sad:: this sounds like a great manly way to turn 30! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pics Amy. Your honey is a hottie. Did I ever mention that? You both are...Geesh. Oh to be turning 30 again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures..and your blog. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Nick!! Thought about you guys a couple of times on the trip as we ate eggs benedict!! It was delish...but I think Nick's might have even been a little better:)

    ReplyDelete