Thursday, October 11, 2012

FEELING GRATEFUL.

I always write these stellar blog posts in my head, when I am away from my computer. I weave my words together so perfectly and capture the true essence of my feelings at that given moment. But when I sit down to actually write it out, my mind goes blank and I can't remember how I strung it all together the first time.

Tonight's blog post was written while we were driving our golf cart to the other end of the island to take some photos at sunset. Of course I can't remember it now, but it was something about this: I was feeling a little homesick earlier today. Our times on North Captiva are some of our best memories, so it leaves me a little torn. I am so grateful to be here, and I don't want anyone to think i'm not. But i'm a huge homebody, and even though I have my most favorite peeps right here with me, I am still missing home. Despite the fact that it's going to be freaking cold when we get there. I'm digging this whole sundress, bare feet, no makeup thing I have going this week. But I also miss my bed, my kids' beds, their toys, and most of all just knowing the ins and outs of our home and not having to worry about where my kids are, or climb 72 freaking steps to get to them.

But see? I am complaining, about something so ridiculous. Riding on that golf cart, I took a look around me, breathed in all this island's beauty, and reminded my self just how lucky I am to be here. People dream about vacations like this. They save their pennies for years and it still may not become feasible for them. I thought about all the seashells Nugget has been collecting this week to bring back for her teacher and friends at preschool. And I wondered how many of those kids have got to experience something like this. Have they felt sand between their toes? Ran their little fingers along the smooth edges of a seashell? Have they collected starfish or seen dolphins jumping in the ocean? We're all pretty darn lucky to be here.

I decided to stop missing home. We have one day left here. I'm channelling my inner Kelle Hampton and I'm gonna suck the marrow out of tomorrow. I'm going to be grateful to be here. I'm going to get up early and watch the sunrise. I'm going to swim in the ocean with my babies and dig for the most perfect shells to add to our already overflowing collection. I'm going to take in the sounds of the waves, feel the sand between my toes. I will go to bed happy and satisfied, with no regrets.

It's gonna be good.

xo.


3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel- those experiences are wonderful, but home is where it's at. We may not have the most beautiful home, or witness the most amazing sunrises here. But, this is where all the memories are made. Enjoy your time with the ones you love...and soak up a little extra sun for me, please:)
    Love and miss you, and hope I don't have to wait until July to see all of your beautiful faces again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "channeling my inner Kelle Hampton"!

    I always make these grand plans of living each vacation day to the fullest and then get lazy when I get to our destination. I'm trying to embrace Kelle's view on life in general. It is a habit worth learning that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh to write and express myself like kelle hampton...we can all aspire right?;) so glad you enjoyed every second. it looked like an awesome get-away!

    ReplyDelete